Meet OBLIVIOUS BOB. He has very few ideas about the realities of job search or the job market.
Meet WISE BOB. He has a better understanding of employability and the job application process.
Employability involves a mix of skills, competences, and attitudes required to do any job. Please see the list below. Think of evidence and examples you can demonstrate/share regarding your own employability skills.
EXERCISE: BRAINSTORM ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYABILITY EVIDENCE BELOW:
- What do you think about your employability?
- How can you demonstrate evidence on some of the skills and attitudes?
EXERCISE: YOUR TOP EMPLOYABLE SKILLS
What are your top 3 employable skills? Choose from the list below:
1) Oral and written communication
2) Team work and collaboration
3) Using initiative and being self motivated 4) Working under pressure
5) Problem solving and creativity
6) Project management
7) Ability to learn and adapt
8) Analytical thinking and numeracy
9) Negotiation and conflict resolution
10) Leadership and
11) Cross-cultural understanding
12) Entrepreneurial thinking
Please come up with your evidence for each of these skills. Think of specific examples/cases for skills you have used. Make your evidence rigorous and specific. Try to incorporate numbers, the context, and your role.
THINK ABOUT YOUR DREAM JOB
- Think about your dream job. Visualise and respond:
- Which company/organization?
- Which department? What is your job title and role?
- Which city are you working in?
- What is your salary?
- Why is this your dream job?
- How is the organizational culture?
- How do you spend your work day?
- Which skills and knowledge are you using?
- What do you hope to achieve?
- Where do you imagine yourself after 5 years? 10 years?